Saturday, November 1, 2014

Recipe: Honey-Mustard Glazed Pork Ribs in Oven and Broiler (Bobby Flay)

Hi everyone! We're finally at my favorite month of the year :) And for the whole month of November, we will be cooking along to Bobby Flay's recipes. Sadly, this would also be our last "Cook Like a Star" event, so do join us!

Bobby Flay is a well-known American celebrity chef, and restaurateur. He is also the resident grill master for Food Network. After browsing through his recipes, I came to a few conclusions - 1. Bobby Flay likes cooking on the grill, 2. he loves chilli (Fresno, ancho chile powder, habanero, Thai birds eye chili, jalapeno, poblano.... he loves them all) and 3. his recipes in general have a long list of ingredients.


Sweet and sticky honey-mustard glazed pork ribs


Although my kids can take moderately spicy food, most of his spicy recipes sound a bit too hot for them. Hence the first recipe I chose to try is his honey-mustard glazed pork ribs - it has received good ratings on the website, doesn't contain chilli (want my kids to be able to enjoy whatever I'm making) and it has a relatively short ingredients list.



And boy, we sure enjoyed this! The ribs does not require any pre-marination, so just pop it in the oven with the soy sauce, water and ginger mixture and cook on high for 1 1/2 hours until the meat is falling off the bone. Then glaze and place under the grill for several minutes until crusty. I really loved the glaze, sweet and sticky, super appetizing and delicious. Am definitely using this glaze next time I cook grilled ribs or even chicken. Overall, super easy and super delicious!



 Sure is finger-licking good.



Honey-Mustard Glazed Pork Ribs in Oven and Broiler
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from Bobby Flay
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 1 3/4 hours
Serves 6


Ingredients
For the honey-mustard glaze:
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
3 heaping tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper

For the ribs:
20 pork ribs, about 3 kg
1 cup light soy sauce
4 cups water
2 to 3-inch piece ginger, skin-on and sliced thinly



For the honey-mustard glaze:
1. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar and brown sugar over high heat and
cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is completely dissolved and
mixture reduces slightly, about 5 minutes.

2. Remove from the heat and whisk in the honey and mustard and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Let cool to room temperature.

For the ribs:
1. Preheat the oven to 250°C/500°F. (I used the no-fan setting)

2. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the soy sauce, 4 cups of water and the ginger and bring to a boil.

3. Arrange ribs in a roasting pan (I used one with a lid) and pour the mixture (from Step 2) onto the ribs. Wrap the pan with foil or cover with the lid and roast until the ribs are tender, about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours.

4. Remove the ribs from the oven and transfer to baking sheets lined with foil or parchment paper. Turn on the broiler/top grill in your oven (high heat) and let heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Brush the ribs all over with the glaze, and broil until golden brown and a crust has formed about 7-8 minutes. Do keep an eye to avoid the ribs from burning. Brush with remaining glaze and serve.

Note: It will be best if you can get baby back ribs or St Louis style ribs for this recipe, however since I could not get those from the wet market, I just used spare ribs.




****************



I am submitting this to the "Cook Like Bobby Flay" event which I am co-hosting with Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Grace of Life Can Be Simple. To join, simply cook or bake any recipe from any Bobby Flay websites or cookbooks for the whole month of November 2014.

Your post must be a current post i.e. posted in November 2014 - please do not link older posts.Please mention Cook like a Star in your post and link back to Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Grace of Life Can Be Simple and Baby Sumo of Eat your heart out.

Happy cooking! Do check out the other bloggers recipe below:


If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

15 comments:

  1. sound very good ! like your serving dish ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sonia! Bought many many of this in UK.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've ever tried one of his recipes but it looks like you all really enjoyed it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! 10 ribs for me, i think! i'll finish them in 30 mins :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yen,

    I'm back!!! Sorry that I'm a little late today with my posting :p

    You are totally right that Bobby Flay's recipes typically has a long list of ingredients and always chiong hei. Did you cook your ribs in a less fussy way? Nice! :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, I chose this recipe cos it was one of the not so "cheong hei" ones. :P

      Delete
  5. Oh that looks good! To go with beer? :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yen, yummy! these Honey-Mustard Glazed Pork Ribs must be finger licking good !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, look so lip-smacking delicious! Yum-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yen! I am not familiar with Bobby Flay but will check him out. These ribs look so good and I think I want to buy some this weekend and have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yen, I'm salivating over these pork ribs! They look so delicious! BTW, the rustic "green board" that you like on my blog is actually just a piece of paper, haha. I went back to the shop few months ago but it was all sold out. I bought 4 different patterns, got green, white, dark grey & timber colour, only like $1.50 each.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wahhh, this one looking so yum!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...