Sunday, June 8, 2014

Recipe: Vietnamese Prawns Stir-Fried with Lemongrass & Chilli (Tôm riem xo voi)

My boy's latest food love are prawns. For example, whenever we go for char koay teow, he would ask for all the prawns on the plate. The other day, I cooked Vietnamese-style stir fried prawns with lemongrass and chilli (tôm riem xo voi) and he loved it! He kept asking for more. :)



For this dish, I used medium-sized fresh prawns, which have been shelled and deveined. Other ingredients include large onion, thinly sliced lemongrass and red chilli, and seasoned with fish sauce, light soy sauce and sugar. I didn't have any red chilli, so I used some jalapeno peppers (you can also use cili padi (bird's eye chilli)). The lemongrass is homegrown, from our garden.



This is a simple stir-fry dish, which literally takes minutes to cook. Fragrant, sweet, savoury and spicy, the flavours are simply delicious. What a wonderful, quick weekday meal this makes. I would definitely cook this again!



Vietnamese Prawns Stir-Fried with Lemongrass & Chilli (Tom riem xo voi)
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from Vietnamese Bible
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, sliced
1-2 plump stem lemongrass, trimmed and finely sliced
24 medium fresh prawns, shelled and deveined (about 250g)
1 large hot red chilli or jalapeno, deseeded and sliced
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tbsp caster sugar


1. In a wok, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and lemongrass and stir fry for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add the prawns and chilli and cook for a further minute, until prawns are cooked through. Season with fish sauce, light soy sauce and sugar and mix well.

2. Serve immediately with rice vermicelli, rice-stick noodles or plain white rice.


Note: Not very sure of the Vietnamese name for this dish, book states tom riem xo voi, but it may be tôm xào sả ớt - enlighten me if you know the correct name! Thanks :)





* I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest- Indochina hosted by Kelly Siew Cooks and to "Cook-Your-Books #13" hosted by Joyce .


If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

18 comments:

  1. Hi Yen,
    We love prawns too! And this dish would be gone pretty quickly! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just pack my bags and go over and stay at your place for a few days?
    I miss home cooked food so much..;[

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your prawn looks so attractive...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious--very summery! I love Vietnamese food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't go wrong with prawns, fresh and succulent. Sure to be nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yen! I love Vietnamese food! Though I am not crazy about prawns, I will eat them especially if cooked like what you did :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my .... I love anything lemongrass !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely dish, it's nice having it all shelled :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks pretty appetising! Thank you for submitting another recipe, hope to see more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another delicious dish, Yen! Planning to grow some lemongrass in this summer, hope they will grow coz each stalk is selling for aud$3 here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmmm, this is one of those recipes that really stirs the appetite! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum this looks great! I've got all the ingredients too - just need some prawns. This is going on the menu for next week :-) Is lemongrass easy to grow? I've been buying it frozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicola, lemongrass is very easy to grow. You can try - no harm :)

      Delete
  13. I love the sound of these flavours together. As a child I hated prawns but I'm sure that I would have liked them served like this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love prawn dishes because I always have backup frozen shrimp in my freezer. This one is easy! I haven't tried this dish before so gotta check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely! I'd love mine fiery hot! :p

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...