Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Birthday #2: Swich Cafe @ HP Towers, Bukit Damansara, KL


Keep Calm, It's Baby Sumo's Birthday :P


I woke up to find many surprises waiting for me. One of the best things I received was a handmade card from Baby C, she really made me proud by making this card all by herself. The Swarovski POOH bear is also a gift from the kids to mummy. :)


Love the card!


Since we had a friend's wedding to attend that evening, we decided to have a light lunch at Swich Cafe. Swich Cafe is located in HP Towers in Bukit Damansara, not really a place we go to often but I wouldn't mind making a special visit again here in future for their food.

The decor is simple, but nice and the staff are friendly and efficient. They have a set lunch which changes on a weekly basis - for last week, it was a choice between kam heong style seafood pasta or chicken char siu burger (check out their Facebook page for latest menus). Set lunches come with coffee/tea/soft drink. I went for the chicken char siu burger whereas Hubby ordered a burger from the a la carte.



Simple but nice decor


Nice carrot juice (RM8.90)


We enjoyed the burgers here. The buns are nicely toasted and soft. The chicken char siu was grilled and flavorful (feels healthier too) and served with a side salad. Hubby had The Beef and The Barbie (RM17.90) - slow cooked beef with Swich's homemade BBQ sauce with apple Dijon slaw on sesame bun. We thought we tasted a tinge of rendang spices on the beef too. The meat was tender and very flavorful. I especially liked Hubby's apple Dijon slaw, they also served an extra small portion which I ate up.

Chicken char siu burger (RM16.90, including drink)



The Beef and the Barbie (RM17.90)


While the burgers were good, what made our visit to Swich extra memorable were the desserts. We almost gave the desserts a miss since we had to rush off, but I'm glad we didn't. Both desserts that we ordered were  so delicious. I'm going to go as far as saying that they are better than some fine dining establishments in KL.

We ordered the cempedak sponge (RM9.90) and the Nutty but Nice Varlhona meringue (RM9.90).  I was impressed that they frost the sponge cake only when it's ordered, it keeps the cake nice and fluffy and not soggy in any way. The cake was frosted with a tangy lime frosting and topped with fresh chunks of mangos and toasted coconut. The cempedak flavour in the cake was quite subtle.

And we loved the Nutty but Nice dessert, it has to be one of the nicest meringues we've eaten. Simple but executed well - the meringue was not too sweet, and topped with toasted nuts, Chantilly cream, Varlhona ganache and salted caramel. In Goldilocks words, this is "just right". :)


Cempedak sponge




Nutty but nice



Highlight of our meal here...


Verdict: Well-executed food, we especially loved the desserts. 


Pork-free.

Opening times: Monday to Fridays, 8am to 5.30pm.

Parking: There is an open air car park just outside HP Towers. First 2 hours RM4.

Price: Total bill RM70.

Location: Swich Cafe, M-01, Mezzanine Floor, Block B, HP Tower, 12 Jalan Gelenggang, Bukit Damansara, 50490 Kuala Lumpur.

Tel: 018 5995152 or 012 7773247

 Website: http://www.facebook.com/Swichfinefood

GPS Coordinates: 3.151743, 101.664099

43 comments:

  1. Yen,the birthday card must be one of the best presents that you have received! The nutty pavlova looks nice. Curious how was the cempedak sponge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! I was so pleased cos it's handmade with love.

      The cempedak sponge is like a chiffon cake, frosted with lime frosting so it's slightly tangy too. Then topped with sweet mango. Really yummy!

      Delete
  2. Love those hand made cards from your kids... such precious gifts. The burger and desserts look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Swich, but only can go there if I take leave or MC. Hope they will open on the weekend. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully they will someday. But according to the owner, they are going to open a kiosk selling their desserts at Publika and after tht a new outlet there! Yay!

      Delete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday. Guess the sweetest even the dessert cant compare to the cards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I guess you are right. The birthday card was the sweetest gift of them all :)

      Delete
  5. Happy belated birthday. Love the cards that your children made specially for your big day. Nothing can compare with the precious words & drawing from the kids coz they grow up too fast! For me though coz mine are taller than me. I look like the kiddo in the family! LOL Yum! The burger & the desserts look so delicious. Wow! I've never tried cempedak in bakes now makes me wonder how it taste like. Looks good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kit! I had a very memorable birthday this year for sure, now that my boy can sing Happy Birthday for the first time and also my first handmade card from my daughter.

      The cempedak flavour was quite subtle, so I think both lovers and non-lovers of the fruit can still enjoy this cake.

      Delete
  6. The portion of the meringue is huge huh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good portion, but we wished for more! ;)

      Delete
  7. Oooo...I would want to bite into that cempedak sponge!!! It looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Baby Sumo, Happy Birthday and many sweet returns. Lovely card from your children, you must be in cloud nine. :)

    The burger look so yummy and the dessert look awesome too.
    Have a lovely day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oops, i don't think i've wished you a happy birthday yet this year. soooo ... happy birthday, yen, belatedly! i love the look of the pooh bear and i love the taste of the beef-barbie, so this post gets a big, big thumbs up from me! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean! It was a very memorable, wonderful birthday celebration for me :)

      Delete
  10. Watch out Beef and Barbie! The monsta's coming on Fri...hahaha :P

    Gimme a double-helping of the apple dijon slaw anytime! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go go go! Btw, you can order the apple slaw as a side too :)

      Delete
  11. Heard that their desserts and burgers are good... Might head there to checkidaut! ;DDDD after reading your post, I am most tempted to try the cempedak cake!;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. KC is going there this Friday.... maybe u can go with him? ;)

      Delete
  12. Happy Birthday to you, a lovely card from kids, you must be very happy to receive this card. The Cempedak sponge sound really good..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonia! My boy also sang me Happy Birthday :) Happy mummy!

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday to you lovely! And I'm glad to see that you were spoiled with delicious food and cards :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! My family sure knows how to shower me with love :)

      Delete
  14. I'm sure there will be a #3 Birthday celeb in the coming days ! lol Love the handmade bday card that Baby C made :) The food ?! Looks really yummy from what I can lick er see from here :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe of course there will be! Maybe up to #7 lol! Wait and see. :D

      Delete
  15. Happy babeday once again Yen!

    RM70 for that meal is a good deal. Will try to swing by over if we're around that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evelyn! Or make a special visit, like we did!

      Delete
  16. I just read another post on cempedak cake, and now here it is again. Very curious how it taste like. I used to work at Menara Milenium and the surrounding buildings would be our lunch joints, but have never heard of switch. Maybe they are relatively new? Sounds interesting. Time to have lunch with my ex colleagues and check out this place :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swich is pretty new, I believe they only opened mid this year. The ppl who work around here are lucky to have Swich, the food is simple and unpretentious but very delicious.

      Delete
  17. Thanks, Baby Sumo, for such a lovely post and review of Swich! Happy belated birthday and may you always find delight on your palate and family life! I'm still waiting for cutie touchy feely cards from my boys, but I suspect they've skipped right past that stage and straight into adulthood :( I'm glad both you and your husband liked the food and the desserts. Nothing motivates cooks and bakers more than compliments and the team here will be absolutely thrilled with your encouragement. Thanks so much for making Swich part of your birthday celebrations! We are planning for a temporary cake counter downstairs at UG floor of Publika in December whilst waiting for the completion of the renovation works of our new outlet @Publika, so please do come by and see us again soon!

    Many happy returns!
    Cheers
    CC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. We really enjoyed our lunch at your place very much. I told Hubby he made a great choice by choosing Swich for my birthday lunch.

      We will back again to try more of your food AND desserts. Good luck on your new outlet at Publika!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I would love to meet you in person (anyone who can get their kids to eat their food, look cute for photo ops, draw their mummy a nice birthday card etc has some secret mummy technique worth learning from). Hope to see you soon! :)

      Cheers
      CC

      Delete
  18. Sorry, I should also make a correction on our phone number, which is:

    018 5995152 or 012 7773247

    Sorry for the error which appeared on our old flyers.

    Thanks!
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like Swich... been there twice and their food is very hearty! I never tried desserts prob cos I never get around to it since its usually work lunch.. but looks like I should now! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must! Next time pls try their desserts... they are to-die for. ;)

      Delete
  20. Happy birthday! I love that you eat so many wonderful things...but the birthday lunch is a burger :) Good choice! Enjoy the rest of your treats - I am sure there will be more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! How bizarre, right. But it was certainly a very enjoyable burger! And love the desserts!

      Delete
  21. The price seems ok wor...RM16.90 with drinks summore. I like the interior too...white tables and chairs, wooden flooring...
    Nice job by Baby C...next year probably Baby D may join in ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah very reasonably priced and most importantly very well prepared. :)

      Delete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...