Thursday, November 8, 2012

Recipe: Easy panna cotta with strawberry sauce

Dear readers, I will be taking a break from blogging for a few days as I am feeling under the weather. The Unc made some lovely desserts the past few weeks, so I asked if he could do a couple of blogposts for me in the meantime. Enjoy reading!

********************************

Panna cotta is a lovely, rich Italian dessert which is both easy to make and great to eat. It is made by simmering cream (and milk if desired) with sugar and mixing with gelatin, and letting it cool to set. The preparation time for the panna cotta itself takes only about 10 minutes and paired with a delicious fruit coulis/sauce, it is a simply heavenly dessert. For those who wants to prepare this for a dinner party, panna cotta can be made up to 2 days ahead meaning that you have more time to concentrate on your other dishes.


Panna cotta with strawberry sauce



Panna cotta with strawberry sauce
Recipe adapted from David Lebovitz
Preparation time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 5-10 minutes
Cooling time: 4 hours
Serves 4


Ingredients
For the panna cotta:
500ml heavy cream (or whipping cream)
50g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 packet powdered gelatin (about 2 1/4 tsp)
3 tablespoons cold water

For the strawberry sauce:
1 cup fresh strawberries, and more for garnish
1 tbsp caster sugar


1. Prepare the gelatin by adding the gelatin powder to 3 tbsp of cold water. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.

2. Heat the cream and sugar in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved. Once dissolved, take it off the heat and add the vanilla extract.

3. Lightly oil 4 cups or ramekins with a neutral tasting oil.

4. Pour the panna cotta mixture onto the gelatin and stir well until the gelatin is dissolved.

5. Portion the panna cotta into the cups and chill in the refridgerator for about 4 hours.

6. Prepare the sauce by blending a cup of strawberries with a tablespoon of sugar. Chop up a few strawberries roughly for garnish.

7. Unmold the Panna cotta by running a sharp knife along the sides of the cup and shaking it onto a plate. Serve with a drizzle of the strawberry sauce and some chopped strawberries.


*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's FB page on 14 November 2012.

43 comments:

  1. Oh dear!!! Take care, get well soon! You panna cotta looks so good! My daughter's coming home tomorrow...maybe we can make that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am also planning to make this panna cotta when I get better.

      Delete
  2. This looks fantastic! I don't know a single soul that doesn't love panna cotta! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care and get well soon. :)
    We love this Italian dessert, but lazy to make, hehehe. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it's not too difficult, maybe next time I can tapau some and bring to you.

      Delete
  4. that is a good one..
    I always love to eat italian dessert..
    Get well soon ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take good care and rest well, Baby Sumo ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious, though I'll try eat less because of the heavy cream. Take care of yourself and get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'll probably make one with 50-50 (whipping cream/milk), think it would be just as good.

      Delete
  7. Get well soon dear..will wait for more of your incredibly simple and yummy recipes! Love the panna cotta with strawberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm back on my feet, should be able to start blogging tomorrow ;) Thanks for your well wishes.

      Delete
  8. oh, here's adding more well wishes for your swift recovery. and hopefully by this weekend, you'll be 100 percent back in the pink of health, and happily feasting and cooking again =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean! I should be back to blogging tomorrow and eating by this Sunday ;)

      Delete
  9. Is heavy cream same as thicken cream. I am confused

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, I hope you will get well soon. Eat some nutritous meal and rest well. The weather is changing here and I feel like one of my kids will bring some sickness from school too... must watch out. Hope you will get well soon!
    What a lovely panna cotta! Last weekend we ordered panna cotta at a Peruvian restaurant but it was okay... this looks way more tastier than one we had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nami, Dr said porridge and clear soups only for 1 week... haha dunno if I can last that long!

      Delete
  11. Oh, I've got those mid afternoon hunger pangs and that surely does look like a better option than my piece of fruit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also can't wait to make this once I get better!

      Delete
  12. Hope you get well soon!
    The panna cotta looks delicious, a dessert I would not say no to!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Yen, hope you get well soon. The weather's been really erratic, very easy to catch cold. take care ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Esther! The weather has been really crappy... hot all day then rain all night.

      Delete
  14. Take rest dear and the pannacotta looks silky smooth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Get well soon Yen!! I love Pannacotta and this version looks quite enticing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I wanted to make this dessert yesterday too, but doctor say no cold stuff for a week!

      Delete
  16. Yen, please rest well & get well soon! Looking forward to see you come back next week! Take care! This panna cotta looks very smooth there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie. I think I have to take a break from cooking for a few days... but can blog already hehe!

      Delete
  17. Get well soon & have a good rest. Delicious looking panna cotta with strawberry sauce! Simply yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kit! Kids have been well behaved so I have gotten lots of rest.

      Delete
  18. the food look and sound fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yen , hope you'll feel better soon ! Too much good food , perhaps ?! lol For sure The Unc makes a mean pannacotta ! :D Looks delectable !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I probably ate too much and my body can't take it LOL! But that won't stop me from eating more.. :P

      Delete
  20. sorry to hear you are under the weather. get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Take care Baby Sumo! Rest well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Baby Sumo, this panna cotta look like to die for type. Very delectable dessert.

    Have a nice day,take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia! I also feel like sinking my teeth into this panna cotta!

      Delete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...