Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I cooked: Spicy kimchi soup with prawns, tofu and glass noodles

The recent spate of rainy days has got me craving for something hot and spicy. During lunchtime one day, I ended up making a kimchi soup with prawns, tofu and glass noodles to satisfy my cravings - oooh, I loved it as the soup was spicy, sour and extremely appetizing.

Glass noodles (tang hoon - 冬粉) is one of my favorite kinds of noodles, be it in fishball soup, stir fried and now in kimchi soup. If you are unfamiliar with glass noodles, they are usually sold dry in Asian supermarkets (or any sundry shops/supermarkets/hypermarkets in Malaysia) and all you need to do is to soak it in cold water for 2-3 minutes to rehydrate and they are ready to use. It just needs to be cooked for about a minute, you do not want to overcook it or else it will become too soft and disintegrate easily. You can also use dangmyeon, a thicker type of Korean glass noodles made from sweet potato starch. I like that the glass noodles soak up all the lovely flavours of the kimchi soup.



For this dish, try to use matured kimchi as you would in kimchi jjigae as it has a more pronounced flavour and gives the soup more depth. Tofu cubes and kimchi always go hand-in-hand and I also love to add some big, juicy prawns for a complete meal.



Love the colours

I like using glass noodles as it soaks up all the lovely kimchi soup :) Glass noodles also have a lovely chewy texture. 

So, what have you been craving lately? Do share them with me in the comments below. :)


Kimchi soup with prawns, tofu and glass noodles
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 18-20 minutes
Serves 2

Ingredients
160g matured kimchi (see here for recipe)
4 tbsp kimchi juice
750ml water
70g chicken, cut into small chunks
2 shallot, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, cut into half
100g tofu, cut into cubes
45g glass noodle (tang hoon - 冬粉), soaked for 3 minutes in cold water or dangmyeon
2 cherry tomato, cut into half
2 small red chilli, whole
2 spring onion, cut into 1 inch length
Salt, to taste


1. Cut the matured kimchi into 1-inch pieces.You can use scissors, it will be less messy.



2. In a saucepan over high heat, add the kimchi, kimchi juice, chilli, shallot, garlic, chicken and water. Boil over medium heat for 15 minutes.

3. Then add glass noodles and cook for 1 minute then add tofu and cherry tomatoes and cook for a further minute. Season with salt, then add spring onion and prawns and cook for 30 seconds or until cooked.



4. Remove from heat and serve immediately. Garnish with spring onion.




See this post for step-by-step instructions on how to make kimchi.

* Btw, my apologies if I have not been leaving comments on your blogs lately as I have been busy preparing for Christmas (tree decorating and preparing mini gifts for our advent calendar for the kids)

*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's FB page on 29 November 2012.

31 comments:

  1. Simple and comfort meal. My mom sometimes will cook this oso. She prefers to use Korean glass noodle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mum is a great cook! Always see u post her yummy cooking on FB.

      Delete
  2. Simply delicious! I'm getting hungry by looking at this. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Ann! Hope u will try this one day.

      Delete
  3. Looks so good, making me hungry....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you while I typed this post, since I know you like Korean :)

      Delete
  4. We love glass noodles too!
    Have a bowl of spicy kimchi soup during rainy day, that will be so great! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe usually we have rice with kimchi soup, but I was too lazy to cook rice haha! Ended up using glass noodles and it turned out great :)

      Delete
  5. Yummy! That's my craving too, for now! hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I know how much you love spicy food Mei Yee, I think you would love this.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yeah... rmbr to use matured kimchi, much more sour and great for this recipe.

      Delete
  7. Very nice soup to make . Thank s for sharing this recipe.
    Cosmetic Surgery India

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm craving something hot (but not spicy) for this dreary weather! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's 17° in this side of the world and that deliciously appetizing soup will surely warm my innards ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an appetising soup!! Love the prawns and glass noodles!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, do heard that the weather in KL has been wet lately. This bowl of noodles will certainly warm your heart! I love the big prawns there, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love kimchi, the spicier the yummier! And this looks delicious and comforting! I could eat a big bowl with not a drop of soup leftover!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, wish i can have this for supper later!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to meeting you today. I like this kind of hot and spicy soup too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dish has so many of my favourite ingredients in it that I know that I'd love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I cooked kimchi soup too for my recently potluck gathering with friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Baby Sumo, love your comfort soup, very delicious. I want with extra prawns, please!!! LOL
    Nice click. Have a nice day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh.. I never thought to add glass noodles to my kimchi soup.. I always add the Korean rice cakes.. love Kimchi Soup!! yours looked beautiful with prawns... :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yumm!! That's what I usually do with the last bit of kimchi that has gone a tad too sour. Very comforting, especially during these rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy...Awesome recipe i have some packets of shirataki noodles i'll try this recipe in dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks awesome! How great if someone can serve me this bowl of hearty dish during a cold and windy night :(

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...