Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Recipe: Chilled mango cream with sago pearls

In a Chinese restaurant, it is common to end the meal with a plate of fresh fruits (or deep fried sesame balls or a simple tong sui (sweet soup dessert) at a Chinese wedding dinner). Most of the time, we would just skip dessert but if we see chilled mango cream on the menu, we would most definitely order it! 

Served cold, this dessert is creamy yet light and refreshing! My parents got us some nice mangoes a couple of weeks ago and I instantly thought of making this dessert at home for all to try. 

Chilled mango cream with sago pearls

For this dessert, I used this recipe I found on Kuali.com as a rough guideline- I found it quite strange that the original recipe calls for very little mango and coconut milk, but I just prepared extra ingredients for "standby" just in case. Luckily I did, because if you follow the original recipe, you will get quite a watery dessert with very little mango taste. I just used my common sense and tweaked the taste to my liking (I ended up using a whole small mango). I have also reduced the sugar amount as I find that the mango is naturally sweet enough.



Along with the cubed mango, sago pearls are also added to the chilled mango cream. Sago pearls is a starch extracted in the spongy center, or pith, of various tropical palm stems. The way to cook this is to place them directly in a pot of water and bring it to the boil until translucent. I find that soaking it before cooking will cause them to be too soft, so I skipped this step. The sago pearls adds some texture to this dessert.



Now I no longer have to wait until I visit a restaurant to enjoy this dessert, as I can make it at home too! ;)

A great Chinese classic dessert 


Chilled mango cream with sago pearls
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking time: 8-10 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients
150ml hot water
20g caster sugar
100g ice cubes
25g whipping cream
100g thick coconut milk, freshly squeezed
220g mango, pureed
30g sago, cooked
200g mango, cubed
4 scoops vanilla ice cream (optional)


1. To cook the sago pearls, place them in a medium saucepan with cold water and bring to the boil. Then, lower to medium low heat and simmer until the sago pearls turn translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Remove with a fine sieve and hold sieve under running tap water to cool cooked sago and separate any clumps. Drain and set aside.

2. Combine the hot water and sugar in a bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves.

3. Add the ice cubes and stir until the ice melts. Add the whipping cream and coconut milk. Mix well and add the pureed mango and sago. Mix again and add in the mango cubes.

4. Chill until ready to serve. To serve, pour some mango cream in a small bowl and place scoop of ice cream on top.


You can serve it without vanilla ice cream if you prefer




But I do like it WITH the ice cream;) (makes it even creamier)


*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's FB page on 9 Nov 2012.

50 comments:

  1. I wonder if adding strawberries will give it a more Christmasy feel...haha =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont la add strawberries, then become some other dessert edi.

      Delete
  2. I like the scoop of ice cream on top, goes well with the mango sago! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Prefer it with the ice cream for sure ;)

      Delete
  3. This is a lovely and yummy dessert that I always love to order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow....I like this tong sui. Because Mango is one of my favorite fruit ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually we very rarely eat mangoes but I love this dessert. :P

      Delete
  5. must be really refreshing! I love cold desserts... so this will be perfect for me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Baby Sumo, I want one bowl please. :)
    Look so refreshing and yummylicious....slurppppp

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you can't go wrong with mango...=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL funny that you and YumList dropped exactly the same comment.

      Delete
  8. OOhh mango with sago is my favourite dessert! Especially when the mangoes are super sweet. :) I need to buy sago now! hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I still have a big bag of sago leftover. Dunno wht else I can do with it :P

      Delete
  9. Yen, this looks similar to the HK's famous mango dessert, is the Mango Pomelo Sago dessert which I've seen earlier! Looks so yummy! Mango mango, I love mangoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I saw in a magazine, about an article about mango pomelo sago. The chef say if cannot get pomelo, then can substitute with grapefruit.

      Delete
  10. noooooo, the vanilla ice cream CAN'T be optional! i MUST have it in this recipe! heheh :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd better not show hubby this or he'll start drooling and begging me to make it! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I am guessing your Hubby is a big mango fan? :P

      Delete
  12. If you can get hold of ( pink ) pomelo , try adding it next time ! :D Ice cream is MUST ! lol Delectable treat , Yen !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, I thought of getting pomelo also, but I prefer sago over pomelo... so just skip it.

      Delete
  13. Mangoes are my family favourite! Sometimes we have this dessert with honeydew, very delicious too, and we would not say no to mangoes! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear oh dear... I would love dat whole bowl. Looks way too tempting

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice! Thanks for sharing! Very intetesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manu! A popular Chinese dessert, you can try making too.

      Delete
  16. I quite like this dessert, very refreshing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CK, welcome back! I look fwd to your holiday posts and photos soon :)

      Delete
  17. OH YUM! This is so inviting & refreshing! Brilliant recipe & LOVE the sunny color of the mango. I've never tried this dessert before & definitely bookmarking this awesome recipe. Well, I would love to have double scoop vanilla ice-cream with this dessert! Can't say 'NO' to ice-cream. Another weakness of mine! :p LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice cream makes this dessert even more creamy... very nice indeed! :)

      Delete
  18. Mango is my favorite fruit and coupled with icecream and sago it sounds like an amazing desert.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jessie and you made almost a similar dessert, hopefully I can try this out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. you are a real foodie! Eat and also can cook!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow... I am falling in love with your dessert! Better add you now.. this very minute.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ya this one is a really nice dessert. My family enjoys it too. I like to make a light version of it using plain yogurt and mango juice. Use more mangoes and it will be just as delicious and creamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine yogurt with mango would be a great combo, shd be like mango lassi right?

      Delete
  23. My fav in chinese restaurants is usually mango pudding. Yum yum. Mango anything is good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! Do you think it's possible for me to change the mangoes in the recipe to pumpkin? Love mangoes but pumpkin desserts always leave me wanting more! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you could steam the pumpkin, then puree it. Give it a go. Sugar proportion might differ depending on how sweet the pumpkin naturally is.

      Delete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...