Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I baked: Delia Smith's American Brownies

Before we moved into our house, I kitted the kitchen with a nice oven so that I could bake lots of nice things for my family. Unfortunately, laziness and lack of time prevented me from baking as much as I would have liked. 

This morning, I woke up and decided to make a nice treat for my children since it is Easter week.Chocolate brownies is something relatively easy to make and a huge hit with the whole family. 

Today, I only had 1 hour to prep and bake it in between chores and picking my daughter up from school. Usually, I use Jamie Oliver's recipe but today I decided to try Delia Smith's recipe instead to compare and contrast the result. It turned out really well (hooray!), I would say that these brownies are less "oily" (we find Jamie's one can sometimes leave butter residue on our fingers after eating) and still fudgy in the centre. Certainly feels much healthier. ;)

Baby C came home from school and squealed in delight when she saw what mummy had in store for her. Happy child equals a happy mummy. 

Moist, chewy and chocolatey



Wish I had some bunnies that I could top my brownies with so that I could have a Happy Easter brownie


Here's a similar brownie recipe on our YouTube channel (link here)



American Brownies
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes 15

Ingredients
110g butter
50g unsweetened chocolate 
2 eggs, beaten
225g caster sugar
50g plain flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
50g chopped nuts - walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, Brazil or a mixture 

1. Preheat oven to 180°C (no fan).

2. Line a baking tin measuring 7 x 11 inches (18x28cm) with greaseproof paper. Bring the paper up a good 2 inches above the rim of the tin.

3. Melt the butter and the chocolate (broken up into small pieces) together in the top of a double saucepan.

4. Once melted, remove from heat and stir all the other ingredients into the butter and chocolate mixture thoroughly, and then pour into the lined tin.

5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until the mixture shows signs of shrinking away from the side of the tin and the centre feels springy. A knife inserted in the centre should come out cleanly (but do not overcook).

6. Leave the brownies to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before dividing into approximately 15 squares and transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.








Full set of photos available to view here. To see the version with walnuts, click on this link here. 

*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's Facebook page on 18 Sept 2012. 

14 comments:

  1. The ladybug is a cute touch! I might squeal with joy too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get more cute toppers. They work wonders with the kids. Wonder if I can find any bunny ones for Easter?

      Btw there are only 4 pieces of brownies left!

      Delete
  2. do you think it is possible to reduce the amount of sugar for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure. But I found it to be not very very sweet, bcos I used unsweetened chocolate.

      Delete
  3. Must be very sedap. Can I have some Vanilla ice cream on top of it? hehe...
    Happy Easter to you & your family =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need wabbit or coconut for my collection, the ladybird so kawaii >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am gonna go hunt for some more cute toppers next week. ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh yeah! Easter inspiration. I want hot cross buns :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am thinking of baking that. But looks like too much hard work LOL

      Delete
  6. This is such an easy recipe, always successful! I make double quantities in a tin 8in x 11in, adding 3 tsps powdered ginger to the mix. When baked and cooled, drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with 2-3 balls finely chopped stem ginger. Everyone loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been using this recipe since 1970s all my family have loved it for years and years. Time have tried other but never as successful as delias .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So have I. Still use this recipe from delias book of cakes which I still got. No other brownie recipe like it. And it never ever fails.

      Delete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...